Tuesday 8 April 2014

Book stuff

Some book stuff.

  
 I didn't quite manage my 100 pages of fiction a day in March - it was somewhere nearer 80, but since I also read some non-fiction I'm still happy.
My major discovery was Ian McDonald. I loved his YA debut Planesrunner and then went on to read River of Gods. Reading McDonald, Frances Hardinge and Nicola Griffith's Hild (review to come soon) in quick succession has spoiled me I suspect. It's been a lovely month of reading.





Elsewhere:

The Bailey's Prize shortlist is out:
  • Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Americanah (Fourth Estate)
  • Hannah Kent - Burial Rites (Picador)
  • Jhumpa Lahiri - The Lowland (Bloomsbury)
  • Audrey Magee - The Undertaking (Atlantic Books)
  • Eimear McBride - A Girl is a Half-formed Thing (Galley Beggar/Faber and Faber)
  • Donna Tartt - The Goldfinch (Little, Brown)

Most of these will have to wait till May; good list though.


I met Ana via the magic of twitter. Her blog is well worth a look and this is her own latest round-up of useful links.


Elsewhere on the twitterverse it became apparent that Adam Roberts will be doing this year's Clarke Award review/discussion for Strange Horizons. I shall look forward to that as always. Meanwhile there's a review of Ancillary Justice just up and Roberts has quick reviews of new books by David Ramirez and Nnedi Okorafor at Sibilant Fricative - both look interesting.


Ian Sales has updated his SF Mistressworks top 100 in a post here - unfortunately I have hardly read any!


Jonathan McCalmont's essay on Catching Fire will, I fancy, provoke fans and geeks of all persuasions. Excellent!


I realise that during the short history of this blog I've yet to urge anyone to read M John Harrison. So, go on, read Light. It will challenge and entertain you in ways you never thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment